Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Bookmarks XVII: Butterfly Snowstorm

Someday I will stamp with the Bubble-Butt Butterfly, but that day is not today.

Click here to skip the rambling and jump straight to the project and the challenge listing.

I did use a different butterfly from Inkadinkado's Gem Stone Insects set today, though. There are four or so butterflies on that thing. It seems that the motto in the stamp-making community is "The world always needs another butterfly stamp." (The world apparently also always needs more flower stamps, too. Why can't the world need more dragon stamps or something like that?)

No. What the world needs is butterflies, and since the Sweet Stampin' challenge this week is White on White, I, if not the rest of the world, need them in white.

I've got white cardstock, white ink, white embossing powder, a couple of butterflies, and a nice bookmark-adaptable sketch from Fetch A Sketch. Let's do this thing.

Fetch A Sketch Challenge Sketch #32


The white ink is actually something of a problem. I think a machine in the Clearsnap factory messed up, because this little Color Box cat's eye easily has enough ink in it for a mini- or even full-sized Color Box inkpad. I dab it very gingerly on the stamp... then dab some more, not to add more ink but in the hope the inkpad will soak some back up!

The Gem Stone Butterfly is quite fancy enough as the focal point, so instead of using a smaller butterfly from the same set for the "star" element of the sketch, I chose a very simple little butterfly from October Afternoon. The stamp is little rather than very little, however, so instead of three butterflies I have only the one. I think it still looks pretty good and doesn't bend the sketch too much.

I do like the block of white behind the fancy butterfly quite a lot. I just outlined the rectangle with washi tape and went to town with the ink, then embossed. It grounds the butterfly nicely and helps it stand out. (As much as anything can stand out on this project.)

Why would something have trouble standing out on this project? Well, when the challenge says "White on White", I'm not going to pussyfoot around with grey or black or colors. I'm going to put some white down on some white! I guess it's a good thing my base cardstock turned out to be a little off-white, or no-one would be able to see a darn thing in my photograph:

Butterfly Snowstorm Bookmark


And that's why this bookmark is called "Butterfly Snowstorm", after that joke about seeing a polar bear in a snowstorm...

I'm entering this bookmark into the following challenges:



Supplies:

9 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, love the butterflies. Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin this week and good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very elegant! Thank you for joining Craft Your Passion this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty - I love those butterflies!

    Thanks for joining the 'winged things' challenge at Crafty Cardmakers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, gorgeous card! Those butterflies are stunning.

    Thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Stampin this week, Wedgie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really pretty! Thanks so much for joining us at Craft Your Passion this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous butterflies. I love white on white cards, they always look so sophisticated.

    Thanks for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely WOW project. Thank you for playing at Sweet Stampin' this week. Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, such a pretty WoW - beautiful butterflies.

    Thanks for joining in with us this week at Sweet Stampin.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete