Thursday, September 13, 2012

Bookmarks XIX: Tasty Trendy Bright

Having found some neon yellow, I made a sort of radioactive cupcake thing.

In addition to hot neon colors inspired by Simon Says Stamp's "We're So TRENDY" and The Stamp Man's "Summer Sizzlers" challenges, I grabbed the sketch from Flourishes' "Any Which Way":

I think neons should always be on black. But of course applying the neon washi tape directly to black would just make it dull, and since I don't have any neon embossing powder I wasn't too confident about stamping showing up well on black either.

So I did them on white.

I stamped a cupcake onto a piece of white cardstock and then ripped lots of small pieces of washi tape to outline it in a sort of explosion of neon stripes. I liked the ragged look, so instead of cutting the washi from the edges of the white cardstock, I picked up the whole sticky mess and smacked it on the base bookmark. I still liked the ragged look, so I left it there.

I was a little stumped on what to do for the small decorative element in the sketch. I could leave it out as it doesn't seem terribly integral to the sketch, but at that point the sketch is basically "that thing I do all the time with a stripe and a focal element", and where's the challenge in that? Then I saw a little roughly-square piece of black cardstock. Aha! I cut it down a size repeatedly, creating chevrons, and pointed them at the cupcake. Bringing the black back on top of the neons really took the bookmark to a more forceful visual level, so I'm very glad for the inspiration from the sketch!

I'm entering this bookmark in the following challenges:

Supplies: (white 110lb. cardstock from Staples; washi/crafting tape from Recollections -- I'll update the widget if I can find a good link for either)

4 comments:

  1. I haven't played with washi tape much...it sure makes a fun and vibrant background for that cupcake! Thanks so much for playing along in the Sketch Challenge at Flourishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun card!! Love the washi tape!! You did a fabulous job with the neon! ;)

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

    Hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool use of washi tape! I love those colors too! :)

    Thanks for sharing your creativity at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!!!
    -Sarah

    For More Opportunities:
    *Follow Simon Says Stamp on Twitter
    *Like Simon Says Stamp on Facebook
    *Subscribe to Simon Says Stamp on YouTube
    *Follow Simon Says Stamp on Pinterest
    *Sign up for our Newsletter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol I love your radio active cupcake!!
    Thanks for playing along at Diva's this week and good luck in the challenge
    Hugs Laurie xx

    PS I have a super candy if you want to join

    ReplyDelete